On a winter day in February 1858, a group of settlers met for the purpose of organizing a regular Baptist church in Carlisle. The town was then a village of modest homes and log cabins clustered around some country stores, a large flour mill, and a little red school-house. This devoted band of early Baptists met in the homes for prayer and praise, and their services, led by circuit riding preachers, were held in the school-house. In 1864 a meeting house was constructed and in 1972 the present facility was dedicated. In 1969 Missionary Baptist Church entered into fellowship with the Iowa Association of Regular Baptist Churches.